For the 2019-2020 legislative session SCI will join with the Indivisible CA: StateStrong coalition to leverage our collective power together. We will be focused on, but not limited to, the following ten bills this legislative session:
- AB 4 & SB 29 – Healthcare – Expands medicaid to undocumented immigrants of all ages
- AB 32 – Criminal justice reform – Prohibits California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation from entering into or renewing contracts with private, for-profit prisons beginning January 1, 2020
- AB 177 – Voting reform – Would create a statewide holiday for election day
- AB 363 – Voting reform – Requires voting centers in all counties to be open the Saturday, Sunday, & Monday before an election.
- AB 392 Support/ SB 230 Oppose – Criminal justice reform – AB 392 is the bill we support which redefines the circumstances in which use of police use of deadly force would be considered justifiable to be in self-defense. SB 230 is the police counter bill which we oppose that requires agencies to make their use of force policy accessible to the public and sets use of force to be okay when officer “reasonably believes” there is threat
- AB 1276 – Climate and environment – Develop and implement the Green New Deal with the objective of reaching specified environmental outcomes within the target window of 10 years from the start of execution of the plan
- AB 1332 – Immigration – Sanctuary State Contracting and Investment Act – Prohibits localities from entering into new contracts or investing in with entities that work with ICE/CBP by sharing data or providing detention facilities
- ACA 6 & AB 646 – Voting reform – Restores voting rights to people on parole
- SB 47 & AB 1217 – Voting reform – Requires ballot initiative, referendum, or recall signature gatherers and issue ads to disclose top funders/endorsers.
- SB 200 & AB 134 –Climate and environment – Establishes policies to ensure that every Californian has the right to safe, clean, affordable, and accessible drinking water